top of page

Baby's First Christmas: Managing Sleep and Enjoying the Holidays

Updated: Dec 13, 2023


The holiday season is a time of joy and celebration, especially when it's your baby's first Christmas. Balancing the festive spirit with your baby's sleep routine might seem daunting, but with a few strategies, you can ensure a peaceful and enjoyable holiday season for the whole family.


1. Stick to a Flexible Schedule Using the 80-20 Rule


Maintain Consistency: Strive to keep your baby's sleep and feeding schedule consistent, following the 80-20 rule. Stick to the routine about 80% of the time, allowing some flexibility for the remaining 20% to accommodate holiday activities.


Plan Around Nap Times: Schedule outings and family gatherings around your baby's nap times to ensure they get the rest they need without feeling overtired or overstimulated.


Last Nap on the Go: If necessary, make the last nap of the day an on-the-go nap in a stroller or a baby carrier while you enjoy some festive activities. This can be a flexible solution to maintain your baby's sleep routine while being part of the celebrations.


2. Create a Calming Environment with Sleep Aids


Utilize Sleep Accessories: Consider using helpful sleep aids such as the SlumberPod or the Hatch Rest Sound Machine. The SlumberPod creates a cozy, private sleep space for your baby, while the Hatch provides soothing sounds and a night light conducive to sleep.


Designate a Restful Space: Set up a quiet and familiar sleeping area for your baby amidst the holiday hustle. Ensure this space is conducive to sleep by controlling light and noise levels.


3. Manage Stimuli and Overstimulation in New Environments


Prepare for New Environments: If traveling or sleeping in a new environment, bring along familiar items such as your baby's sheets, sleep sack, and pajamas. To help them acclimate, sleep with these items the night before your trip to infuse them with your scent, making the new environment feel safe and secure.


Limit Overstimulation: Be mindful of your baby's exposure to bright lights, loud noises, and unfamiliar faces. Create quiet times during the day to allow your baby to recharge and rest.


4. Be Flexible and Communicate


Adapt to Changes: Understand that holiday plans might disrupt your routine. Stay flexible and adapt to changes while prioritizing your baby's sleep needs.


Communicate Effectively: Communicate your baby's sleep schedule and needs with family and friends. Most will understand and support your efforts to ensure your baby gets quality rest during the festivities.


5. Prioritize Self-Care and Enjoy the Moments


Rest and Recharge: Whenever your baby naps or rests, take the opportunity to rest and recharge yourself. Remember, taking care of yourself is crucial during the busy holiday season.


Create Cherished Moments: Embrace the special moments with your baby during their first Christmas. Cherish the memories, enjoy the festivities, and savor the joy of this magical time together.


Celebrating your baby's first Christmas while managing their sleep might require some adjustments, but by following these strategies, you can ensure your baby gets the rest they need while enjoying the holiday festivities. Remember, every baby is different, so find what works best for your little one and your family to make this holiday season one to cherish.

Stay tuned for more parenting tips, holiday hacks, and ways to navigate the joys of parenthood effortlessly on our Pinterest page dedicated to helping families make the most out of special occasions.



Affiliate Disclaimer: Our website, blogs, and newsletters may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or other compensation if you click on or make a purchase through these links. This comes at no additional cost to you. We only promote products or services that we believe may be valuable to our users and that we have personally researched or used. However, please be aware that the decision to purchase any product or service through an affiliate link is entirely yours, and we encourage you to do your own research before making any purchase. Your support through these affiliate links helps us maintain and improve our website and provide valuable content to our users. Thank you for your support!


5 views
bottom of page